Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Interview with a Future Educator



My little sister, Rebecca Warnberg, is also attending the University of South Alabama in hopes of obtaining a degree in Elementary Education. She is a freshman and has not taken EDM 310 yet. I wanted to know what she thought about technology in the classroom. Here's what she had to say:
Caitlyn: In your opinion, what makes a technologically literate teacher?
Rebecca: A tech literate teacher knows how to use Microsoft Office and the internet.
Caitlyn: So, you don't think that teachers should know , for example, how to blog, use Skype, or use a Promethean board?
Rebecca: I think those things may be useful, but they're not necessary for someone to be a good teacher.
Caitlyn: Do you think that teachers should at least be familiar with these things so that they could use them in the classroom?
Rebecca: Yes.
Caitlyn: Should all teachers be tech literate?
Rebecca: Yes.
Caitlyn: Could you explain that answer? Earlier you said that all teachers needed to know was Microsoft Office and how to use the internet.
Rebecca: Like I said before, those are the basics. Other things might be useful, but they are not what makes a good teacher. I don't think teachers need to know much technology in order to run a classroom effectively.
Caitlyn: How would you use technology in your classroom (if you would at all)?
Rebecca: I plan to teach kindergarten. I don't anticipate using much technology with children of that age. If I do end up teaching an older grade, I might have my students play interactive computer games, but I can't see using them very much.
Caitlyn: Thank you for your time Rebecca.
Rebecca: Technology is stupid.

I'm glad that Rebecca will have to take EDM 310 in the future. She need sto be exposed to other opinions and ideas. Even if she doesn't change her mind, I think it will be good for her to be exposed to all of the ways that technology can be used in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment