Monday, January 25, 2010

Week 3 Assignment




Teachers Podcasting


This week I listened to six different podcasts. My objective was to determine the differences in style and format of each podcast and whether or not I found it helpful for learning purposes. The podcasts included in my assessment are: SmartBoard Lessons Podcast, KidCast, Teachers Teaching Teachers, EdTechtalk, MacBreak Weekly, and This Week in Photography.

The SmartBoard Lessons Podcast was more of a radio talk show with two hosts and they had newsupdates with technology and they joked a lot. MacBreak Weekly had three hosts and they talked about the latest news in technology and gave their opinions about it. KidCast is basically a man giving you a lecture about the topic of the day. I enjoyed this group of three because they're more traditional radio programs that are structured, informative, and fun to listen to.

Teachers Teaching Teachers has a host and a few different experts and they have an agenda to talk about but there is room for improvisation. EdTechTalk is more of a group discussion. There were many experts and they had a topic to discuss but there wasn't much of a strict agenda. I didn't really enjoy these two programs. I felt it was a bit chaotic to have everyone trying to jump in with their own opinion. The hosts (especially in Teachers Teaching Teachers) kept talking over everyone else. It made it seem like they didn't really care what the other experts had to say.

This Week in Photography discusses new techniques and technologies being developed in photography. It was mostly just two hosts discussing these things. They mentioned Haiti which I found interesting. They were talking about documenting these images for posterity. I found the podcast informative and fun to listen to. There were too many advertisements in the beginning though.This exercise made me wonder whether or not I will be making podcasts for my class to listen to. If I do decide to make podcasts in the future, I will have to think about the format a lot and how to keep the lesson fun and interesting.

Mrs. Cassidy's 1st grade class. Media Literacy & Little Kids... Big Potential

It’s so awesome to see all the different things that Mrs. Cassidy’s class is doing with technology. When I was in first grade we went to the computer lab to learn how to use the space bar and the shift button. These first graders can find websites and blog and know how to be safe on the internet. It makes me excited about finding ways to use the internet to enhance my classroom environment.

1 Year Old Using iPhone

I think that what this proves is that the technology is not difficult to learn. There are many other videos of babies using iPhones. I actually liked another video better. The child in that video was playing games and watching YouTube videos.

2 comments:

  1. Caitlyn,

    Enthusiasm for technology is what we are trying to develop in this course and you seem to have it right now. Your future students will feel the same way and you need to be prepared to teach them and learn from them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really enjoyed the podcasts that were similar to the traditional radio programs. This may be because this is what I'm used to hearing. The debates seemed too unorganized, and it was very hard to understand what they were trying to say.

    ReplyDelete